Friday, May 13, 2022

Why I Do Not Fear FRIDAY THE 13th




by Nancy Lee Badger

The 13th of a month rarely falls on a Friday. In fact, last year during the widespread Covid-19 Pandemic, it only appeared once, in August 2021. This year, May is the only month, although January 2023 will return with another special Friday for me to celebrate.

I have heard the stories that warned of "Black cats crossing your path" while others said "Don't walk under a ladder." Who can forget to be careful and to not break a mirror? These and other superstitions have swirled around the number 13 for centuries.

Many have made money off the fear of Friday the 13th (sound like any movies you may have watched?) I never watched those movies, and I have owned two black cats. I own ladders as well, but why would I walk under one? I will admit to being extremely careful when carrying a looking glass.


The Author at Age 5

The truth is, my parents had something miraculous happen on a Friday long, long ago. I was born. Yep, they welcomed their first child. Was it unlucky that the calendar said I was born on the 13th? Is it true when I hear that "Friday's child is loving and giving." That's me!


The Author enjoying the sea, decades later

I play the lottery weekly and the Powerball number I play on my tickets is always 13. It comes up quite often. So, when you think of superstitions and curses, especially on the 13th of anything (my lucky number) think of me and my books, which you can find HERE

My latest book was released last Friday. 

Yep, I like Fridays, too!



No comments:

Post a Comment