Friday, May 20, 2022

Sugar-Free Lemon Blueberry Cake

A recent gathering of family members called for a quick and easy dessert. Now, I usually shy away from using box cake mixes, but when I saw this box of Sugar-Free Yellow Cake Mix by Pillsbury, I had to try it. My sister said I had made a lemony cake with blueberries one year and asked if could make that again.

Seeing this box in the store gave me an idea for a simple sheet cake, where only a few calories came from sugar. It contains non-nutritive sweeteners and does have calories, but I had to try it.

After baking the cake mix with parchment paper lining the 13 inch by 9 inch metal pan, (including 3 eggs, water, and canola oi)l I baked it for 34 minutes. After cooling, I turned it upside down on a glass cutting board. I mixed about 1/2 cup of substitute confectioners sugar then added the juice of a lemon. The mixture was not quite sweet and tasty, so I added some real confectioners sugar (sugar!) The lemon juice was the best part! 

Whisking the glaze thoroughly, I poured it over the cake and spread the thin coating gently with a rubber spatula. I then decorated the top with fresh blueberries. I placed it in the refrigerator until the next day. The glaze hardened and kept the berries intact.

The family enjoyed it and I will try experimenting with the box mix again. They also make sugar-fee chocolate cake. Hmmm...add cherries? How about their many flavors of sugar-free Brownie Mix, but I enjoy my homemade brownies using Hershey Cocoa. (Sorry, Pillsbury!) Enjoying a few calories and real sugar as infrequently as I do is okay.

I might make brownies this week since the cake is long gone. Then I can sit outside in the sunshine and read a book. If you are in need of book ideas, here are a few:






Find all Buy Links HERE







No comments:

Post a Comment