Friday, January 8, 2021

Apple Pie & Wintry Weather

 


I made a sugar-free apple pie the other day because:

1) I love baking and pies are comfort-food

2) my sis is suffering with covid-19 and requested one

3) I miss apple-picking in New Hampshire (see photo above) so this is the best I can do to remember the good times with my boys

Here is the recipe. Note* I sometimes use frozen pie shells. Let one sit out to soften, then roll to cover the pie.

Nancy's Sugar-Free Apple Pie

Heat oven to 425 degrees F. 

Prepare two pie crusts

7 cups peeled, cored, thinly sliced apples (I use Macintosh)

1 cup Splenda or about 18 packets of artificial sweetener

3 Tablespoons Cornstarch

3/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Pinch of salt

aluminum foil

In a large bowl, combine sweetener, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt. Add apple slices and stir to coat evenly. Add to pie shell (frozen shell is perfectly fine). Press apple mixture into shell then cover with the second crust. Join the edges by pinching. Cut off excess crust. Cut slits in top to vent. IMPORTANT! Take 3 strips of aluminum foil (about 2 inches
wide each) and cover the rim of your pie crust. Otherwise, your thin edge will brown long before the pie. I forgot, this time. (see photo)

Bake 40-50 minutes or until pie is golden brown. Cool in pie-pan on rack. Refrigerate uneaten slices.

Apples are important to your health and this is a healthy alternative to regular pie. There is still some sugar, so watch how much you eat.


Entertainment during this pandemic is also healthy to a person's well-being so remember to READ BOOKS. For a quick, sweet, adventurous story set in Scotland, try LOVE, HAMISH

Buy links HERE     


 

1 comment:

  1. Your apple pie recipe is easy enough for me to make. We all need a bit of comfort food right now. Keep these recipes coming.

    ReplyDelete