Monday, January 4, 2021

A New Year and a Recipe


Let's not speak of 2020 anymore. Everyone agrees that the last 365 days were the worst anyone under 60 has seen. I grew up with the threat of polio, whooping cough, measles, and even swine flu, but this pandemic seems worse.

My quarantine ended January 1st, meaning Christmas was quiet. My relative is still testing positive for Covid-19 so she is having an even uglier time. My worry about her is brutal. 

I turned to baking. The least we family members can do is deliver food to her or bake her some treats and meats.

This has given me the idea to share recipes on my blog along with words of encouragement and maybe a mention of one of my books. She really enjoyed my meatloaf and I was happy to know she got a lot of protein.



NANCY'S MEATLOAF

Heat oven to 350 degrees F

3 lbs ground meat (73 or 80%)  

1 yellow onion, diced

2 eggs

1 cup or more plain bread crumbs

6 or more slices bread, older the better, torn into small pieces

about 1/2 cup ketchup

Prepare 2 8 inch or 9 inch loaf pans, glass or metal, by lightly greasing

After washing your hands, mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Really get it all mixed well, then press into the two loaf pans. Press firmly around edges to give it a hump. This leaves space for the grease to go. (Have a grease can ready!) Bake at 350 degrees about an hour. For a crispier loaf, reduce heat to 325 and give it another 20 minutes.

I like to dribble more ketchup over the top. My late Aunt Almeda served hers with brown gravy. Mashed potatoes on the side are a must!

Enjoy this protein-rich comfort food and STAY SAFE! 

And if you are looking for something to read, try this:

Find all buy Links HERE

2 comments:

  1. Now I've got your recipe for fabulous meatloaf! Thank you for printing it. While it's baking, Ill be reading The Earl's Treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words and enjoy both the book and my meatloaf!

    ReplyDelete