Sunday, April 28, 2013

Nancy Lee Badger's Positive Quote of the Week

Yesterday I dared to struggle.
Today I dare to win.
-Bernadette Devlin,
political activist


Check out that dark blue wallpaper and formica counter
No, I am not a political activist, but the words hold special meaning to me. This past week has been exciting, upsetting, uplifting, and expensive.

Why did they put knobs in the middle of the doors? Also, only half the sink worked.
We have lived in this house for five years, and the kitchen has been an eyesore far longer. We bit the bullet and ordered a new countertop and sink from HOME DEPOT.

THAT was the easy part.

The cabinets needed to get a fresh coat of white paint, which I was perfectly capable of doing. HOWEVER, the doorknobs situated IN THE MIDDLE OF EACH DOOR. had to go, and the white paint needed to be stripped from the hinges.


Deconstruction was fun (but, I left the house)
My son, Eric, came to my rescue.

He removed the knobs and stripped the hinges. He puttied the old holes, and I painted all the cabinets. In the meantime, a plumber came in and disconected the ancient sink, useless faucet, and disgusting garbage disposal. 

Hubby and son made quick work of removing the old sink and countertop (circa 1977). 4 days later, the counter and sink were installed, but the house was filled with the horrid smell of glue. I took the boys to lunch as we aired the place out.

Silestone Quartz Countertop in Blue Sahara
The next day, the plumber returned and connected my sink and dishwasher back up (same horrid glue smell), and I was able to finally use it. Joy! Rapture! Clean hands! Washed dishes!

The struggle to choose the countertop, painting the cabinets, painting over the old wallpaper, paying for everything, and having limited use of a kitchen for 5 days was worth it.

I still need to choose a backsplash, but my kitchen works!
I agree with Ms. Devlin's quote: I struggled, but I won!

Nancy Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment