Friday, November 6, 2020

The Voting is (Almost) Over

 ...and so is my temporary job with the Wake County Board of Elections. What a trip the last few months have been! I wanted to do my Civic Duty and help with the voting process, but the ongoing threat of Covid-19 made me pause and regroup.

So, instead of helping at early voting sites across our county, which includes the capital of North Carolina, I decided interacting with thousands of strangers might not be the best way to go. Instead, I offered to help behind the scenes with the  'administration side'. Little did I know I would end up packing a lunch, driving through traffic, and working fulltime for days on end.

I started sorting mail which included requests to register to vote as well as absentee ballots. That second type of request grew into the hundreds of thousands and I soon found myself labeling and mailing out ballots.

Then the fun started. 


Plopped in front of a computer in a huge warehouse with others all set at least six feet apart and wearing masks and gloves, we began to receive and 'scan' ballot envelopes. The bar codes made it easy, and the ballots were set aside until opened during Tuesday board meetings. A voter could track the process of their ballot and see on-line that it was received.

I entered many thousands of these absentee ballots and I think I helped in my own small way to get these votes recorded. Whether the outcome of this weird and unusual presidential vote makes you laugh, cheer, or cry, please remember the people who worked many hours behind the scenes over the last three or more months to make it possible.  

Nancy Lee Badger

Wake Co BOE Temp #23

p.s. back to my writing. Watch for the release of The Earl's Treasure December 1st

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! We needed people like you and thank goodness we found them!
    Donna H.

    ReplyDelete