Friday, October 18, 2013

RED SHOES Deals with a Tricky Subject

by Guest Author Donna Steele
 
I was recently asked where Red Shoes came from and why chose such a dark subject.  As for where it came from, Red Shoes started out as a bit of flash fiction. It was a picture and I had to come up with 100 words about it. I guess that’s what being a pantser is all about.

I immediately saw a sophisticated appearing woman trying to garner the attention of a high powered businessman. It wasn’t the real her, she was pretending to be what she thought he wanted in order to attract him. Now remember, none of this was shown, just feet in shoes. But I did not like the businessman. Sight unseen except for my imagination, he was bad news. My heroine had heard the rumors but dismissed them. No one that handsome, smart, powerful . . . you fill in the blanks, could be related to those rumors.

Then she finds out the truth.

I do seem to come up with creative villains. And so far at least, in my books, my heroines have had to pull the hero’s bacon out of the fire. I write strong women (probably because I never realized I was one until I found my own real-life hero)

I realize this is a touchy subject – an abusive relationship, but these relationships do happen. Since I concentrate on strong women, or women coming into the strength they didn’t realize they had, I wanted to show that they can escape even when the woman has been “successfully” cowed. Even if a woman doesn’t think she can stand up for herself, she might rise up on her hind legs to defend a child or a friend and there it is – strength she never saw coming.


I do recommend if you’re stuck (not that that ever happens to writers) that you give this technique a try. It’s incredible when the juices flow, especially when you can take those 100 words and write the whole story as well.
 
bio -

Women strong enough for love.

I write science fiction , paranormal and women’s fiction romance eBooks about women coming into their strength and having the courage to find and accept love.

As an empty nester with my beloved best friend and husband (who actually encourages this mad passion of mine) I write all the time – whether or not I have a pen or keyboard handy.

Ever since I learned to read—from Superman Comics, Dick, Jane and Sally held no appeal—I’ve wanted to write. The possibilities of science fiction have always drawn me and I’ve read them all.  There just needed to be a little more romance in them. I finally got up the courage and I’m delighted that I’m able to share these stories with you.

My premiere novel, a science fiction romance – Rth Rising – was released on March 3, 2012 through Rebel Ink Press. My romance eBooks Learning Trust, Homecoming, Welcome Home, Red Shoes and Wraith’s Heart are now available at all eBook sellers. Wraith’s Heart is now also available in paperback through Amazon. I’m a member of Romance Writers of America, the Fantasy, Futuristic & Paranormal Chapter of RWA and the Heart of Carolina Romance Writers.


Find out more about RED SHOES
and check out the Buy Links

What's next for author Donna Steele?

Nowhere For Christmas will be released soon.

Please check it out it

No comments:

Post a Comment