Saturday, August 25, 2012

Sounds, Sights, & Smells of the Scottish Games


I was reading my local newspaper the other day and a back page article caught my eye. Seems a local girl, Waverly Noble from Raleigh (NC), has spent half her eleven years learning to dance in the Scottish tradition.

It got me to thinking about the Scottish Highland Games and festivals that pop up around the area. I wish I could attend them all, but time and money seem to factor in when deciding where to go and what to see.
My boys, Eric and Robert

Highland dance, with the young women in beautiful kilts and socks, their hair in tight buns, and their hands on their hips, is a sight to behold. I raised two boys, so watching the girls perform is always a treat without the worry. Being a soccer mom was easier.

Have you ever attended a Scottish festival? If not, then you have missed out on the sounds, sights, and smells.
  • Sounds such as a lonely bagpiper performing before a competition judge
  • The sound of many marching bands as they march together playing Amazing Grace
  • The happy sounds of kids petting sheep or a Highland cow
  • The sight of muscular brutes tossing a telephone pole (the caber) end over end
  • walking through a historical village and seeing how the Scottish lived long ago
  • Seeing men of all sizes and ages strutting about in their Scottish finery. Yum!
  • The smell of Haggis
  • The delicious smell of baking meat pies 
  • sheep
I will be heading north next month to again volunteer with my family at the 37th Annual New Hampshire Highland Games and Festival. It will be held at the Loon Mountain ski Area in Lincoln. If you plan to be in the area, it is well worth a stop, but get there EARLY. 30,000 people+ are expected!

Stop in and see me at the Information Tent.
For more information about the Games,
please click on NHScot.org

No comments:

Post a Comment