Thursday, July 21, 2011

Tornado Gone, Destruction remains


Last Friday, my sister and I traveled a little south of downtown Raleigh, North Carolina to the Farmer's Market. The sun was high, and the stalls were full of vegetables, fruit, plants, and baked goods.

I swiftly bypassed the German bakery goods (with reluctance) and finally choose corn, peaches, squash, onions, and a sweet potatoes. I had promised myself (and my doctor) to eat healthy. With all the bounty available, there is NO EXCUSE not to eat right.



When we left, I asked my sister to stop so I could take a photo of a building barely across the field and street from the Farmer's Market. Less than 1/4 mile away, the building was shuttered. It took me a second to realize this was one of the victims of the recent April tornadoes.


The irony of this aluminum company peeled open like a sardine can faded when I realized this property had been a thriving business; owned by someone, an employer of many, many people.


My sister and I talked about how lucky we were not to have such damage to our homes and places of employment. On the way home I took a photo of the Raleigh skyline. Things go on.


We have entered hurricane season so we will check our supply of flashlights, batteries, bottled water and get ready. Raleigh is far inland but can feel the effects. Always be prepared.

Here's a link to a list of items you should keep on hand in an emergency, curtesy of the American Red Cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment